Monday, August 23

#34 Sibu, the town of floods / Atlantis-waiting-to-happen

It's August. Not supposed to be monsoon/rainy season in Sarawak. Been raining on and off for the past week. Result of the rains in Sarawak, Sibu is flooded, for the first time in the month of August.

Every Sibuan on Facebook has been sharing a video of the flood in Sibu... Nice video I would say, I especially like the ending. Upcoming election, I doubt BN would win. See what BN gets when they don't do their job properly, and they want people to vote for them. Sheesh~

Honestly, to me, being stuck at home (since there's no place interesting in Sibu to go to) I'm not really aware of how bad the flood is around town, since my place doesn't flood. Which reminds me, I haven't check the level of water in the drains outside my house. Well, the waters in Sibu flowed down (or is it up?) from Kapit. Whichever, I don't know where Kapit is exactly on the map =/

Sibu is a swampy area, so yeah, no wonder it floods a lot. BUT. It's also because of the poor drainage system, the fact that the Rejang River is getting shallower, and the lousy roads that sink-oh-so-fast due to poor workmanship.

The waters are disgusting, creepy crawlies, reported incidents of baby croc found in the drains. one word. GROSS. I used to like wading in the flood waters. But now the thought of it is just disgusting. Yuck.

Conclusion. Sibu shall sink into the sea, or drown in the sea. Whichever. It'll be Atlantis-waiting-to-happen :)

The next underwater town!

3 comments: